~TEWITT HALL FARM~

 

 

Back to Home Page


Originally called Mount Farm, built around 1859

1861 Samson French from Harrogate, his wife & farm lad from Shipley.
1871 Mary Ann Thornton niece of Israel Thornton is living there with one domestic servant & two farm servants.

1848 before the farm

Taken from familychest.co.uk
Israel Thornton of Bradford, Yorkshire. Contractor Samuel PEEL of Broadhead, Keighley, Yorkshire, Farmer. Subject. Samuel Peel agrees to buy property near Keighley, Yorkshire for £320 from Israel Thornton. We are told that Israel Thornton bought the property in 1871 and is now selling it on while reserving the shooting rights for himself. The property consists of a house and lands called White Hill, near Keighley. A schedule lists various closes by name specifying the acreage of each. The total area is 19 acres.


A great deal of information on Israel Thornton can be found by searching on Google.

The tower went up in 1875 and the name changed to Tewitt Hall. 

Bill O'th' Hoylus End in his book tells us that Pie Leach would often ride up to the hall in his gig and that he had in mind to buy the place. 


Samuel Peel came from Wibsey & in 1871 we find him at Broadhead, Oakworth, he was there in 1881, but by 1891 he was in Barnby Moor.

 Samuel's son, William Edward Peel returns to Oakworth and we find him farming at Tewitt Hall in 1911. Samuel's daughter Mary Elizabeth married Peter Emmott, and after they are married they are farming at Broadhead. Peter was born in Cowling, prior to his marriage the family are living at Newsholme, the marriage record describes Peter as a wheelwright & his father a farmer.


1910 Emmott renting off Peel


William Edward Peel at Tewitt Hall 1911


The coach house

 

1881 census showing Israel Thornton farming 218 acres & employing 5

1883 advertised for sale in the Leeds Mercury

1884 advert for a steam crane

While wondering around Utley cemetery we came across a grave which told us that this was the abode of Hugh Ellison in 1899. Hugh Ellison, son of Thomas Ellison Inn Keeper of the Crown Hotel, Colne. Hugh a butcher, married Sarah Town, she was the daughter of Nathan Town, butcher of Church Street, Keighley. Nathan had six son's who were all butchers.

1899 sale

 

Agreement from 1947

Map from 1947 sale

Sale catalogue 1947 for the Atkinson Jowett Estate

Floor plan of house, ground floor left first floor right. Pink areas show the sections racked with damp, to be demolished in 1977.

House with tower

Coach House
 

Yard, coach house to the right



Taken from yorkshirepost.co.uk

Jonathan is the third generation of his family to run Tewitt Hall. Frank Sharp, his grandfather and a dairy farmer from Airton near Malham, bought the farm in 1947. At that time, where the farmhouse is now, was Tewitt Hall. 
Built in 1859, the hall had a 50ft tower and Jonathanís records show it was built by a couple named Israel Thornton and his wife, Rose, who employed two servants, farmed some 218 acres on what had been moorland before they vacated the site in 1881. From the photographs Jonathan shows me, the original hall was an impressive sight. Sadly in 1977, racked with damp, most of the hall was demolished. In the years that followed and with a young Jonathan and his parents Peter and NoŽline then living there, parts of the hall were slowly restored and added to with new buildings. With his parents running the farm, the family kept a small dairy herd. When Jonathan left school the family was milking 90 cows and he joined his father working on the farm. The pair still work together and next up on the agenda is automating the milking process by investing in robotic technology.